4 facts you may or may not know about the Basilica of St. Mary Major:
1. Usually, we are feasting with the saints…but today, it’s a place! It’s one of the four major basilicas in Rome. It is the largest church in the world honoring our Lady!
2. Relics from the manger in Bethlehem are present there.
3. This feast has also gone by another name: our Lady of the Snows. On the night of August 4th, in the year 352, Mary had appeared to Pope Liberius, saying that a miraculous snowfall would occur that would show where a church was to be built in her honor. One the following day, today’s date, snow fell on the Esquiline Hill in Rome. IN THE MIDDLE OF A HEAT WAVE. Pope Liberius got people to work, and the basilica’s construction was built immediately.
4. Because of the snowfall, white flower petals fall every year from the basilica’s dome.
5 suggested dishes to serve edible flowers with:
1. You can add edible flowers in your green salads for a splash of color and a pop of taste.
2. Add to any cocktail for beauty, and for a different kind of taste! (Even more fun: put them in ice cube trays with water and freeze them!
3. Mash them into a soft cheese, like goat cheese for an extra kick.
4. Grind them with salt, pepper, and a little sugar for a great meat rub!
5. Top them on a cake or iced cookies!